Butternut Pear Soup with Cashew Cream
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 1 large leek, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 1 large pear (Bosc or d’Anjou), cored and diced
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1” piece fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 packages WoodstockⓇ All-Natural Frozen Butternut Squash
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup WoodstockⓇ Organic Raw Cashews, soaked in water for at least 4 hours
- ½ cup sage leaves
- Smoked paprika
- In a large saucepan or pot heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium. Add carrots and leeks and saute until softened, 6-8 minutes. Stir in pear, garlic, and ginger and cook, stirring, 2 minutes more. Add butternut squash and broth, bring to a simmer, and cook until all the vegetables are completely soft, about 15 minutes.
- While soup cooks, drain cashews and transfer to a blender. Add ¾ cup water and blend until completely smooth and creamy. Add salt to taste
- In a small skillet heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil over medium. Add sage leaves and fry briefly until they turn a darker green color, about 30 seconds. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- When vegetables are tender, use an immersion blender or upright blender to puree soup. Add salt to taste.
- To serve, ladle soup into bowls and drizzle with cashew cream. Top with a sprinkling of paprika and a few sage leaves.