BBQ Pulled Mushroom Sandwiches
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 yellow onions, sliced thinly
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 5 large portobello mushrooms, shredded with two forks
- 24 ounces of button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 18 ounces WOODSTOCK Organic Original Barbecue Sauce
- 6 to 8 toasted buns
- WOODSTOCK Organic Mayonnaise
- WOODSTOCK Hot Sauce
- WOODSTOCK Pickles
- Heat a large skillet or dutch oven over medium heat. Add oil, onions, and ½ teaspoon of salt. Sauté for 10-12 minutes, until translucent and tender.
- Wash mushrooms and discard stems. Use two forks to “shred” the portobello mushrooms. You can also slice them, but shredding will allow for a more meaty texture that’s more similar to pulled pork. Thinly slice the button mushrooms.
- Add all of the mushrooms to the pan with onion mixture and stir well. Increase heat to high and cook down for 8-10 minutes, stirring often.
- Pour in the barbecue sauce, stir well, reduce heat and let it simmer and reduce for 20-25 minutes.
- Serve on toasted buns with mayo, coleslaw and/or pickles.