Mashed Butternut Squash and Shiitake Mushroom Gravy
Mashed Butternut Squash:
- 20 oz frozen WOODSTOCK Butternut Squash
- 3 tablespoons butter (vegan or regular)
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream (vegan or regular)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoon butter (vegan or regular)
- 1/3 cup finely diced yellow onion or shallot
- 1 cup frozen, finely chopped WOODSTOCK Shiitake Mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, finely minced
- ½-¾ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 1 ½ cups vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- Squash: Bring 1 cup of water to a boil with a pinch of salt. Once boiling, add in the squash, stir well and simmer for 5 minutes, until softened. Drain and return to the pot. Mash well, then stir in butter, cream, salt and pepper.
- Gravy: Heat butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until softened (3-5 minutes).
- Add the mushrooms and continue cooking for 1-2 minutes. Stir in the flour, thyme, salt and pepper, letting it cook for 1 minute.
- Whisk in the vegetable broth and vinegar until no lumps remain. Reduce heat and simmer for for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thickened and slightly reduced.
- Serve over the mashed butternut squash and enjoy!