Fresh Ginger Cake
- 4oz fresh ginger root, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ½ cup packed WoodstockⓇ Organic Brown Sugar
- ½ cup molasses
- 1 large egg
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 8oz cold cream cheese, cut into cubes
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 3 cups WoodstockⓇ Organic Powdered Sugar, sifted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup chopped WoodstockⓇ Candied Ginger
- Preheat oven to 350℉. Lightly oil a 9” cake pan and line the bottom with parchment paper.
- In a food processor pulse ginger until finely minced.
- In a medium bowl whisk to combine flour, baking soda, and salt. In a separate large bowl whisk to combine sugar, molasses, egg, and minced ginger.
- In a medium saucepan combine butter and ½ cup water. Heat over medium until butter is completely melted. Whisk butter mixture into molasses mixture, then stir in flour mixture to combine.
- Scrape batter into prepared pan and bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 30 minutes. Let cool in the pan on a rack for 10 minutes, then slide a thin knife around the edge of the pan, turn out the cake, remove the parchment paper, and turn cake right-side up to cool completely.
- In a food processor combine cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar, and vanilla. Pulse just until smooth and creamy.
- When cake is cooled, spread cream cheese frosting on top, leaving the sides bare. Sprinkle with candied ginger.